June 16, 2014

Summer Drugstore Beauty Essentials



I'm the type of girl who could spend a full hour putting on her makeup in the morning if I had the time.  Obviously I don't because I typically have other things I need to accomplish in the day, but I just find that there is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than experimenting with different looks and products.  But when summer rolls around and brings with it days of extreme humidity and scorching heat, I tend to ditch the fancy eye looks and stick to the basics.  Because let's face it, nobody looks cute with raccoon eyes and foundation sliding down their face in the summer heat.  I like to go for a more natural face with a simple, bright eye-look and a pop of colour on the lips for those hot summer days.  So here's a list of my favourite drugstore products for an everyday summer look that's sure to keep you looking fresh and polished for hours in the summer heat!

I like to start with a clean, dry face and then apply a moisturizer with SPF for an added boost of sun protection.  This one by Neutrogena is an all-time favourite that I've used every summer for the past few years.  It's oil-free and super light-weight so it doesn't clog your pores or leave your skin feeling greasy - a definite must for summer face products!


Instead of a heavy foundation, I like to stick with a tinted moisturizer or BB cream for some coverage without weighing down my skin with tons of product.  I recently picked up this Covergirl CG Smoothers BB Cream, and I'm really liking it so far.  The coverage is definitely sheer, so it's ideal for days when I don't need a ton of coverage. I also love how smooth it leaves my skin feeling without any greasy residue like I've experienced with some other BB creams.

 

The Covergirl Clean Sensitive Skin Pressed Powder is another of my favourite tried-and-true drugstore products.  It's perfect for setting the BB cream and keeping my makeup look shine-free all day.  It gives my skin a clean, matte finish with a little extra coverage to balance out the fact that I'm skipping my typical foundation routine.


To give my complexion a sun-kissed look, I like to use this Rimmel Natural Bronzer in the shade 021 Sunlight.  This is a matte powder, which I love because it looks so natural as opposed to the more shimmery bronzers available.  Bonus - it's waterproof and wears up to 10 hours! Yesterday, I put this on in the morning and it lasted all day even after working up a sweat at the driving range and sunbathing out in my backyard all afternoon!


For a super simple, bright-eyed look I start by removing any dark circles under my eyes using the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser.  It seriously makes SUCH a difference and just brightens up my entire face to make me look much more awake.  Instead of a heavy eyeshadow look that will most likely just wear off throughout the day, I like to use a long-wearing cream shadow.  The Maybelline Colour Tattoo Metal Shadows are a holy grail product in my collection; they don't crease on me and they truly last all day and night.  For a simple daytime look, I just sweep this on in the shade "Barely Branded", which is a pretty champagne colour that adds a nice highlight to my eyelids.


To complete the bright eye-look, I apply two coats of a super lengthening mascara to really open my eyes and make them appear larger and more awake.  My current favourite is the L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara; it doesn't clump or smudge and holds a nice curl in my lashes all day.


I finish off this simple look with a bright lip using my last two summer essentials: EOS lip balm in Sweet Mint to soften sunburnt lips, and the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Unapologetic for a fun pop of colour.  I am absolutely in love with the Revlon Matte Balm; it wears more like a lip stain that lasts for hours before having to reapply! The bright pinky-coral shade is the perfect lip colour to finish off a simple sun-kissed makeup look!

Let me know what your summer beauty essentials are!
Signature

5 comments:

  1. I love a lot of these products! And there all great for the summer time.
    Thanks for the great post!

    Krystal | Little Beauty Bug <3 & Tumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal! I've checked out your blog and loved it! Following now :) xx

      Delete
  2. These products look amazing! Although I'm not sure we have them all here in the UK :(
    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've hardly heard of any of these!
    I don't think they sell in the UK :(
    They all look good though!
    I've followed you on bloglovin btw and look forward to reading more from you :)
    xx
    http://dreamsof-newyork.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete